Sunday, December 02, 2007

Anticipation - 1st Sunday of Advent

The season is so busy, and as the semester comes to a close, I know that I need to try even harder to stop in the middle of the insanity to focus on the coming holiday. My countdowns are usually in line with my students - 10 more days until winter break! But I'm still so weary once the countdown is done. Join me this year as we refocus on the holiday at hand - the birth of Jesus. Today is the first Sunday of Advent. You can light a wreath with me here if you don't have one of your own.

Meditation

First Week of Advent


"Jesus said to his disciples: 'Be constantly on the watch! Stay awake!...You do not know when the Master of the house is coming.'" Mark. 13:33 First Sunday of Advent
O Jesus, your voice sounds through the house of my world: Be on your guard! Stay awake!

Yet I hardly hear you. Busy with so much, I go about the things I do like a servant trapped in household routine, hardly giving a thought to what my life is about. My spirit within has grown tired and you, my God, seem far away. How can I hear your voice today?

Speak to my heart during this season of grace, as you spoke to your prophets and saints. Remind me again of the journey you call me to make and the work you would have me do. I am your servant, O Lord. Speak to me in this holy season and turn my eyes to watch for your coming.

O Emmanuel, Jesus Christ,
desire of every nation, Savior of all peoples,
come and dwell among us.

(original meditation appears on http://www.cptryon.org/prayer/adx/admedit.html#1)