Saturday, July 21, 2007

Jumping through Hoops

For the past year I've spent a lot of time, money and energy jumping through hoops to get my credentials back after being away from teaching for 10 years. As long as I passed, today marked my last hoop.

From 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. today I sat in an uncomfortable student desk in a high school and took the FELE - the Florida Educational Leadership Exam. I first took this exam in 1999 when I got my master's in Ed. Leadership, but sadly, I let my teaching certificate lapse when I lived in my beloved Colorado, never anticipating teaching in Florida again. Now, 8 years later I need to reinstate my certificate and in order to get everything added back onto it, I must retake every certification exam I've ever taken...there have been 4 this year.

Why am I willing to jump through these hoops?

There is no other way to get where I'm going but this path. The hoops are like gate keepers, and if I want in the game, I need to jump through the hoops.

And I really want in this game.

Not to worry. Once I get through this last hoop successfully, I will gather them all up and dance! Click on my hoola hoop girl and see!