Saturday, July 14, 2007

Family: Hubby Turns 50!


Last week, on July 8, my wonderful man celebrated his 50th birthday - without me! I was in Atlanta at a book convention for the release of my new book STANDING UP FOR YOUR CHILD without stepping on toes (Tyndale/Focus on the Family). So we celebrated his big 5-0 today instead.

Chip doesn't like anyone to make a fuss, so I planned a surprise for him for just our family. We rented jet skiis on nearby Lake Seminole and just had at it! Water is somewhat of a phobia for me, so this was a big deal. There are gators in that there lake and I could see heads popping up along the shallow shoreline! I rode on the back of his jet ski long enough to feel the rush of freedom that comes when you fly across the surface of the water, hopping over wakes and waves like a pebble. I also rode with our youngest son, Charles, but with less confidence (I'm still trying to get used to him driving a car, let alone a jet ski). Mostly, I sat under the shade of an umbrella on the dock and watched my guys criss cross the lake giving in to the exhilaration of the chase. We all had a blast!

You know that I love to learn, so what did I learn today? I learned that joy comes in making life less about me and more about someone else. I had the best time of my life watching my husband of 21 years have the best time of his. . .

And I have to admit, it made me smile watching our youngest constantly try to smooth down his thick, wiry hair after the wind whipped it into a frenzy. I wasn't the only one having a bad hair day.