Friday, June 01, 2007

Downtown Blitz


Well, we attempted to go to Ellis Island today but by the time we got down to Battery Park to get tickets, the wait was 1.5 hours long on a muggy 90 degree day. Not going to happen, so we walked around Battery Park, which is again a beautiful place. There's a World War II memorial there that is magnificent. I know I've said it over and over again, but the green spaces here are so precious. I appreciate each and every one of them.

Then we went to see Ground Zero. I wondered how long we will call it that. . . The first time I visited this site was just 2 months after 9/11. The rawness of the rubble caught your breath and forced tears to the eyes of even the most stoic. But today, almost 6 years later, it looks like any other construction site in New York. My fear is that we will forget.

We cut through the Financial District and made our way to the South Street Seaport. This is where the famed Fulton Fish Market resides, but instead of a grimy working port, it is a touristy mall area full of shops like The Gap, Crabtree & Evelyn, and many quaint sidewalk cafes all housed in buildings erected in the 18th century. To me that is the coolest part.

The view from the water's edge is Brooklyn. There is also a fleet of water taxis that speed up and down the river and all around the perimeter of the island. We'll have to try that the next time we come.I've met a number of writers from Brooklyn, most of whom are transplants. So much has changed here over the years. Everything has improved, yet is quickly becoming out of reach for us normal folk. I've always liked Brooklyn. My family came from Brooklyn originally and then "when they build the bridge" they moved to the country, Staten Island. One of these days I'll find my way back. . . one of these days.


The backdrop of the Brooklyn Bridge is inspiring. There are wooden lounge chairs at the top level of the Fulton Market where we hung out resting our tired feet. Here I am with my "baby" Charles (15). This has certainly been a trip we've all enjoyed.