Friday, November 16, 2007

Just in Time

I've been incredibly preoccupied with a grant proposal I've been writing for 3 weeks now. It was due out the door via FedEx TODAY! At 4:30 pm I deemed it DONE.

Whew!

I've written many proposals of one sort or another over the years, but this one put me on a different playing field. I was playing with the "big boys" and so far I'm still in the game. Every once in a while it's important to stretch yourself and enter unfamiliar territory. We grow through adversity. Without it we can become complacent (and probably lazy).

Some of us like to stay where it's safe; where we know all the rules and the players. But you can't make an impact from the safety of the confines of the familiar. Take a risk and walk off the path you've beaten to death. See where it leads.

Have you ever left the life you've known to do something completely different? Did you take a risk? What was it and how did you feel? More importantly, where did it lead?

Paths less taken, different drummers, and all that...you know what I mean.