Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day



It is ironic that I was "in labor" on Labor Day back in 1991. My 16 year old son is living proof of how hard I worked that day! Yet, on this Labor Day in 2007 I find myself doing what I do every year - work. My brother is working today too. Someone has to - or I wouldn't have been able to get my Starbucks this morning!

So then, what is Labor Day all about?

The Department of Labor can explain it to us.

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.


It is a patriotic holiday, one that pays tribute to the American worker. Today, however, we struggle to define "who" is the American worker. Is the illegal immigrant who does that job that no American wants an American worker? Is the migrant worker in our orchards, fields, farms, and vineyards an American worker?

For most of us Labor Day is the signal that summer is over and a welcome day off for many, but not all. A strong work ethic is key to our country's strength and prosperity - along with our personal strength and prosperity. How can we instill that work ethic in today's children?

After all, they don't seem to have to work very hard to get what they want these days? Take today to think about what work ethics you value as a family and look for ways to provide your children with opportunities to practice "working."

Their future employers will thank you. After all, they will be the ones in charge and taking care of us soon enough!