Saturday, September 09, 2006

Do You See What I See?


Perspective is everything. . .
As a writer and an editor, I find myself constantly dealing with point of view. It's interesting to note that we relate better to points of view that are closest to our own. The hope is that when you write or teach or enter into any kind of relationship, your message will be received by someone who shares your point of view.

But everyone is different and therefore many different points of view exist. As a writer, I'm learning to write in a way that reaches the majority of readers. As a teacher, I've been taught how to teach in a way that reaches the majority of students. Trying to be all things to all people is not easy, and I wonder, if we should work so hard to align our points of view to the masses. What's wrong with having a different point of view?

We all see things in our own ways. Even in my own family, there were five of us kids growing up and now when we tell stories of our childhoods, we all tell them differently. My sister doesn't see things the way I saw them. My brother missed it completely. And my dad thinks we're all crazy because he remembers it his own way. Even people who share the same experience come away with a different perspective.

My perspective on education may be shared by many people, but not all. It's important then for me to include the points of view of others in my field. I plan to invite some guest bloggers to do just that. I'm even going to expand my Book Reviews to include other points of view. Beginning with my own son, an almost 17 year old bibliophile, we'll view the same books from different perspectives.

Take a look at the picture I've included here for you. What do you see? I'll give you a hint - "who" do you see? Post your answer in your comment, but don't read anyone else's comment before you do. I don't want their perspective to influence you.